Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Being A Missionary


Hello dear family!                                                                                                            June 11, 2013

I am glad that you had fun while you were at Disneyland, and I can't wait until we can all go there again together!  While you were at Disneyland, I was busy here, doing missionary things and working hard!

This week has been a good one, and a lot of things have caused me to step back and think, about why I am here and about if it is worth it! Thank you mom, for the quote that you shared from President Monson! :)
  
The work is still slow in this area.  But, both Sister Drinkwater and I are willing to do whatever it takes to serve the Lord to the best of our abilities, and that sometimes means doing things that we don't necessarily want to do (like tracting, or spending a lot of time contacting)  Because those things aren't easy, but they are worth it.  I can see that now.  

We've spent quite a bit of time with Jennifer, a recent convert, this past week.  She is really struggling with believing her divine nature and divine potential.  We have been able to show our love for her and the Lord's love for her.  I have been praying to see people as God sees them, and to love them in the way that He loves them.   And it is amazing.  The power that I have felt as I have gone into homes, and truly felt the Love that God has for them.  I have no way to even explain it, because, well, it is indescribable, but it is amazing.   The power of God's love, if we all truly understood how much God loves us, I think we would be a happier people.  I am so grateful that I have the chance to feel this love that God has for each and every one of us! It is simply amazing!  :)  But, as we have been teaching Jennifer, I have been thinking about how grateful I am to know that I am a daughter of God.   That was something that I personally struggled with for a long time I think.  But as time went on, and with Young Women's, Personal Progress, writing in my 'Daughter of God' journal everyday about how I had seen God's hand in my life really helped me to understand who I was, who I am in His eyes.  Now that doesn't make every day easy, but it does make it easier for me to trust God, to know that He does have a plan for me, and that I do mean something to Him!  That is something that we do all have to discover for ourselves.

Another thing that I love about being a missionary is being able to feel the power of the Atonement every. Single. Day. It is real.  The Lord suffered for us, so that we may never feel alone!  I love the talk by Elder Holland from a few years ago that talks about the Atonement, and how because of it there is always someone that we can turn to in our times of need.   Prayer.  That is one powerful thing that I have continued to use, I have discovered that my prayers are getting longer, and more meaningful.  Because I am actually TALKING to God, and I know that He is listening.  He listens.   But in order for Him to bless us, we need to be doing all that we can do, we need to be trying.  He will bless us, because He knows our hearts, and He knows exactly what we need, when we need it.   And sometimes, I think that the moments where we are having the hardest times, are right before we are going to experience the most joy.  "Weeping may endure for the night, but joy cometh in the morning" (I'm actually not sure where that scripture comes from, but it is a good one!)

Things are going well here in San Clemente, we have met with a lot of potential investigators, and we have been scheduled a few weeks out, so we are excited to see where those appointments will take us.   We are also going down the ward list, meeting members and less actives, seeing if there is anything that we can do at this time to help!    We've been balancing our time, doing less actives, members, potentials and finding activities so that we stay busy and productive, and don't get burned out by just doing one of those things.
  
Kirk is adorable as always.  We saw him last week, and he shared all of his conversion story with us, and that was really powerful, because I hadn't heard all of that before.  And can I just say, when men cry, ah just love it! Especially when it is because of the Spirit!   So Kirk is staying strong, he has the Aaronic Priesthood and has been able to go and do baptisms in the temple!   It has been amazing to see all of that unfold!   

We do have dinner most nights, which is nice because we are able to work with the members, and that truly is just wonderful!!!  
So, things are going good!  I am learning to love people, to be exactly obedient and to truly serve the Lord with everything that I have.  I cannot believe that I have been on a mission for 4 months.  I'm not sure where the time has gone, I am just trying to do my best to make the most of what I have, and even when it is hard, I think of my Savior, and then I remember that it wasn't easy for Him, so it may not be easy for me either.   But it is so worth it.  So totally worth every second.  To laugh with people, to testify, to share with them the joy that I have been able to feel because of the atonement in my own life.   I wouldn’t trade these experiences for anything.

I miss you tons.  I really do.  But I know that this small moment in time is going to be just a small moment, because we are going to be together forever.  And I am so grateful to have that truth!!!

I love you so much! I hope that you have a great week! Keep smiling, and keep doing good, the Lord will bless you!   

Oh, so... yes, I'd love recipes, anything that is pretty simple and easy and that tastes good.  Also...another pair of pj pants, just some from my drawer at home.   And then maybe some of my lotion, since I have so much at home.  They don't have a Bath and Body around here, and I guess I just don’t want to buy some random lotion ;)  haha,  but, that’s all I can think of! :)    Anyway, have a Happy Tuesday, a Wacky Wednesday, a Terrific Thursday, a Fabulous Friday, a Stunning Saturday, a Spiritual Sunday, a Marvelous Monday, and then you'll be getting another email from me, so it will be happy, right?!?  haha.

I love you!  Have a great week!!!

Love,

Sister Taylor Burningham

No comments:

Post a Comment