Sunday, July 27, 2014

Heat Wave

Dear Family!                                                                                                  May 19, 2014

This week has been well, an adjustment week, just as it always is with a new transfer.  But...really it mostly has just been HOT!!!!!!  It was about 105 for 3 days! wooot!!! That was a good time!!! So we had appointments, and did our best to stay inside and stay cool, and let me tell you we were so grateful when it got back into the 80's yesterday!  I am just grateful that I am serving here and not somewhere where it is more humid and hot like that all the time. I'll take So Cal. :)

So like I mentioned, this week has been an adjustment week.  Before transfers, I knew I was getting transferred, and I felt like that is what was supposed to happen, and so that was good.  Monday night we had dinner with Brian and Kristy, and then saw the Dunnings, Leva and taught Catherine and said bye to Ronnie. It was a busy 3 hours after all of our Pday activities were done!

Tuesday was the first of the HEAT WAVE!  I finished packing and we went and saw a few members and then headed to Irvine for transfer meeting.  Sister Chua and Sister Staley are great!  And they are both so different and so fun!  Sister Staley is from Nevada. She came out the same time that Sister Hurst did, so about 3 months ago!  Sister Chua is from Malaysia (is that how you spell that?)  She has been out for 6 weeks.  They are so great, and I love working with them already!!!  So things are going good here in this area,  I still haven't met most of our investigators, but that will change soon I am sure!  But we do have a lot, so hopefully we can help them progress towards baptism!! :)

So honestly, most of this week was a blur...so I'm not really sure what to tell you about it! But I will tell you about yesterday!  So we went to the Oak Creek ward's sacrament meeting.  Which was good, I’m excited to be in that ward, it should be really good.  But our ward meets in a building similar to ours at home, which is the first one on my mission that is like that, so I was feeling kinda homesick during church, and then I was missing the Laguna beach ward, and I was just praying and wondering why I was sent to this ward (why I couldn't still be in Laguna, why I had to have been moved in east away from the ocean where it was hot), what my purpose was, and really I was just kind of murmuring. So I opened the scriptures randomly (something that doesn’t always work for me when I am looking for an answer).  But yesterday it did.  I opened up to D & C 66.  Which was a direct answer to my prayer.  So here are some of the answers that I received

5 Behold, verily I say unto you, that it is my will that you should proclaim my gospel from land to land, and from city to city, yea, in those regions round about where it has not been proclaimed.

My missionary purpose (v.5)

7 Go unto the eastern lands, bear testimony in every place, unto every people and in their synagogues, reasoning with the people.

I am supposed to be here (eastern lands...and that is what I'd mentioned in my prayer...umm my yeah, I think God is trying to tell me something) oh, and that I should testify. 

9 Lay your hands upon the sick, and they shall recover. Return not til I, the Lord, shall send you. Be patient in affliction. Ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.

11 Keep these sayings, for they are true and faithful; and thou shalt magnify thine office, and push many people to Zion with songs of everlasting joy upon their heads.

12 Continue in these things even unto the end, and you shall have a crown of eternal life at the right hand of my Father, who is full of grace and truth.

13 Verily, thus saith the Lord your God, your Redeemer, even Jesus Christ. Amen.

So this was kinda like me getting called to repentance, just not in a harsh way, but really God telling me that He has a plan for me and that I just need to go out and work, and that He will take care of the rest!  And that is really what I needed, so my prayer was answered and my faith was strengthened!

Then we left the Oak Creek Ward and headed over to the Lake building for the Chinese Branch where we stayed for that entire block!  We (Sister Staley and I) used the headsets during sacrament meeting, but they only interpret that meeting. So the rest was in Chinese, but a few of the members who aren’t Chinese helped us out so that we could understand better!  So that was great!  I also played the piano in Relief Society...boy do I need practice, but they don't have many members who play the piano, so they appreciated my stumbling through 2 hymns, but I'll practice so that next week will be better!  We also had dinner with the Relief Society President of the branch, and all they elders serving in the branch, so lots and lots of Chinese language.  And I tried sushi, but it didn't have raw fish, I can't remember what was in it...so I don’t know if that counts or not, but I'll probably have sushi sometime in the next 5 weeks (I’ll probably only be with Sister Chua for this transfer, but we will see!)  But, that should be fun!!!

So things are going good!  And I am adjusting quickly, and everyday is getting easier being back in Irvine!  I've already seen quite a few members from the Woodbridge ward, so that is weird!  But fun! :)

This morning as I was studying, I was studying God's love for a lady that we are going to see tonight, and I found this scripture that I wanted to share with you!

34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. 

35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

So as we love each other, we will be better examples of Jesus Christ.  For He is the greatest example of love (CHARITY!)  And as we have charity, we will be able to help more people come unto Christ, and help them feel of the love that He has for them! :)  So just an interesting thought!

I love this gospel, I love this work! I am excited to be back in Irvine, and to be stretched and pulled and grow in the way that God has planned for me!  I know that God loves us, and that because He loves us, He sent His Son!  I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior!  And that is the message we get to share with the world!  And as a representative of Jesus Christ, I know that this Gospel is true, and it does change lives! 

I hope you have a great week! I love you all so much!!

Love,

Sister Taylor Burningham


No comments:

Post a Comment